Upgrading the Harddisk of the PS3 40GB Model
Things are never quite as easy as they seem, as I found out the hard way when I replaced the 40GB with a 160GB harddisk.
Before you start, make sure you have the following:
- A new 160GB (or larger?) SATA 2.5 inch harddisk. Must not exceed 9.5mm in height.
- A philips screwdriver
- The current Sony Playstation firmware
- Some patience and about 2 hours of time
And here the step by step guide:
- Make a backup of your current system (Documentation)
- Exchange the drives (This should be fairly straightforward)
- Put the current Sony Playstation firmware onto a USB mass storage drive (Path must be /PS3/UPDATE/ )
- Start the Playstation
- You will be requested to install the a firmware (press SELECT + START)
- The harddisk will be formatted and the firmware will be installed
- After the automatic reboot you can then restore the previously created backup
- Syncronise the trophies
And that is it. The most time was spent on waiting for the backup to be created and to be restored.